Hello, I am the Mom to two Highschool boys, grades 9 and 11. We have just started Spanish Level 1, but I am struggling to figure out a flow and how all the various pieces work together. We have the big yellow Spanish textbook, and then there are the online lessons, and I have printed the entire manual/textbook for Level 1. I bought the Homeschool Planet Lesson Plan, which puts our assignments in daily format... but I am so confused--especially by the yellow book assignments. Today's assignment was pages 4-5 (in the yellow book) and even with looking at the answers in the back of the book, I cannot figure out what they are supposed to be doing. I finally managed to locate the "tracks" that they are supposed to be listening to (the books did not come with a CD but a website that you have to navigate). Lesson A says to complete the sentences according to the story... but the wording looks different to me than the wording in the story. B. Tells us to "restate the sentence replacing the underlined word with a word that will make the sentence true". Sentence #2 has "amor" underlined (which I understand to mean, loves). The correct answer in the back of the book is "espanol"... so I am not seeing how this could possibly replace "amor".
The other day, we tried to join the live bingo class, but I could not figure out where the sheet was that we were supposed to have printed.
It is hard for me to keep my boys motivated and accountable when I am struggling to figure out the assignments myself. I have watched all the introduction videos .... but maybe I am still missing something important that would simplifiy it all???
Please help! :)
Hi Jackie! Thank you for commenting here - I know we also had an extensive conversation over email as well.
If you'll think of the guidebook as the syllabus, that will help. The audio on the Barron's website is quite difficult, which is why I offer the students the downloads. If the students do the vocab lab and the notes one day, they will have enough information for the assignments. I'll add a homework video helper in that lesson today, so as to bridge the gap.
I know I already said it in the email, but I think they best part of that message was remembering that learning a language is different than ANY other subject, so students are using a new part of their brain for the FIRST TIME EVER, and the nature of language absorption is anything but linear.
In general, each week you'll want your students to:
1) Watch the Lesson Video while responding and taking notes.
2) Do 30 minutes of book work while reading aloud.
3) After 30 minutes, moves on to the next day or assignment at their own pace,
4) Once the entire lesson is completed, move on to the next playlist for the following lesson.
The bingo sheet is in the Chat room each time we play. I don't pin it or post it anywhere else except in the live session chat box. It's a PDF to save and then print right then. No rush, we all do it together.
On Other bonus speaking days, there is nothing to print. :-)
I'll link the Homework helper video here in just a bit.
Here's Homework review video that is already there. :-) Also, assignment B was not assigned, so that would maybe be why they're struggling with that particular bit - I didn't assign it, because it's not a very good exercise. ;-) https://spanishgeniuses.vhx.tv/sgsg-level-1-lesson-02/videos/sgsg-level-1-lesson-2-page-4-tips
Ok! Scroll down on Lesson 2 - the first Homework Helper video was already there, but I added a new one today. :-)